Sunday, September 14, 2008

Finally, A Social Life?

So this week Institute started. I am registered for a class on Wednesdays that teaches Danish and a New Testament (the four Gospels) class on Thursday. The sister missionaries teach the Danish class and there were two Chinese girls in it with me. I think my biggest problem with this class is going to be that it's only once a week--I don't get enough practice and reinforcement. The Thursday class in taught in English by a man from England. He has a charming accent but the only other person in the class is a girl from Thailand. Don't get me wrong, Deng is great, she's in my ward so I already knew her--I just don't feel like there's a whole lot of socialization going on here. Oh well, I've only been once, right? It can only get better.

Also, I went to the temple last Friday with a group of older single adults. Afterward we went to one of the girls' apartments, ate and played games. Let me tell you that playing Pictionary in Danish opens an entirely new perspective to the game (especially when everyone else is guessing in Danish, and half of the cards are random references to Danish culture). It was fun but I feel a little bad for making them speak in English the whole time. Come to think of it though, they didn't. As soon as the discussion would get heated, they'd switch back to Danish, and I'd sit there, nodding, smiling, or making other appropriate facial gestures--and not getting any of it. I tell you that Danish is nothing like a romantic language. Just wait, when we get to Italy next week, I'll feel like I have a leg to stand on. Except that almost everyone here does actually speak English, whereas in Italy, they don't nor do they in Greece or Turkey or Egypt. Ah, the trials of travelling.

I know I had several run-on sentences, you'll just have to deal with it.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the post! I've been anxious to hear how Institute was going! I loved your story about Pictionary. Good luck with that, and have fun on your cruise!!

Lynette and Anthony said...

Yes, it can only get better :)
When do you leave, what are the stops and when do you get back? How FUN!!!